At BrightDrop, we are reshaping e-commerce by developing smarter, greener, and more efficient ways to deliver goods and services to your door, while delivering a brighter future for the cities where we live. We are building an ecosystem of all-electric, zero-emissions delivery solutions – from electric vehicles, to ePallets and software that leverages real-time data to drive intelligent optimizations for e-commerce. To deliver on our mission we are growing fast and building a team, based in Palo Alto, with offices in Atlanta and Detroit, that is customer-focused, agile and passionate about innovating for a more sustainable future.
From engineering to product management and operations, BrightDrop is looking for people who can combine a passion for technology and sustainability with high doses of curiosity and rigorous thinking to deliver a better future.
Backed by General Motors, BrightDrop is striving to improve the communities where we live and deliver a better future for generations to come. We hope you’ll join us.
As Sr. Manager, Embedded Software and Systems, you will build and lead the team developing embedded software for current and future generations of the BrightDrop EP1 (all-electric pallet). Along with the team you will lead and build, you will help drive key decisions on architecture, approach and execution that empower a suite of products that are smarter, more capable and highly robust in order to meet the efficiency needs of our last-mile e-commerce customers.
You will lead engineering development of an embedded platform that spans IoT, machine learning, controls, calibration, secure mobile access, propulsion, battery management and safety factors, leading team members specializing across these domains. You and your team will collaborate closely with your peers in hardware design and architecture to optimize our EP1 platform strategy and execution.
Our ideal candidate is both a strategic leader who can design robust architecture and a strong people leader who can ramp up and manage a high-performance team whose deliverables are key to our success and differentiation.
- Lead key architectural decisions in collaboration with hardware, software and product teams that optimize for key business goals and roadmap deliverables.
- Manage day-to-day and sprint-to-sprint performance and execution of your team.
- Hire, train, develop, mentor, lead and manage employee performance.
- Lead with high-energy, engagement, integrity, and professionalism.
- Develop a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and empathy
- 10+ years of embedded software/firmware development experience
- 5+ years of technical leadership and management experience
- Advanced working knowledge of RTOS (real time operation systems, I/O drivers and micro-controllers
- Experience leading a team of embedded application and firmware engineers
- Experience optimizing software on both limited and large compute
- Experience with calibration and device drivers
- Consistent record of delivering high quality software on time in a faced paced environment
- High level of independent judgment and decision making.
- Willing to take action and drives for results.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.