BrightDrop, we are reshaping e-commerce by developing smarter, greener, and more efficient ways to deliver goods and services to your door, while delivering a brighter future for the cities where we live. We are building an ecosystem of all-electric, zero-emissions delivery solutions – from electric vehicles, to ePallets and software that leverages real-time data to drive intelligent optimizations for e-commerce. To deliver on our mission we are growing fast and building a team, based in Palo Alto, with offices in Atlanta and Detroit, that is customer-focused, agile and passionate about innovating for a more sustainable future.
From engineering to product management and operations, BrightDrop is looking for people who can combine a passion for technology and sustainability with high doses of curiosity and rigorous thinking to deliver a better future.
Backed by General Motors, BrightDrop is striving to improve the communities where we live and deliver a better future for generations to come. We hope you’ll join us.
This leadership position is key to building and institutionalizing the foundation of Quality for BrightDrop and our portfolio of delivery solutions.
Perceived Quality Responsibilities:
- Build and lead a premier team of Perceived Quality Engineers.
- Provide independent oversight of the design planning process, design verification & validation activities, design transfer and product production, and performance in the field to ensure that all design requirements are optimally met.
- Identify positive and negative attributes impacting the customer’s impression related to fit, appearance, quality of materials, surface quality and sound, through product benchmarking. This includes making objective targets from subjective perceptions.
- Prioritize enablers with target implications to drive decision-making.
- Ongoing digital and physical assessments throughout vehicle development cycle.
Design Quality/Craftsmanship Responsibilities:
- Build and lead a premier team of Design Quality SMEs
- Create a Design Quality System to define, develop, and instill all strategies, processes and procedures to achieve and sustain quality and cost objectives.
- Lead the Design Quality functions through all product development events up to and including the start of production while guiding engineering development to ensure DFM is considered in the design phase and that quality expectations are defined.
- Support Quality reviews during vehicle development, prototype and manufacturing pre-production phases driving issues resolution improving launch excellence.
- Work multi-functionally with the Design Studio, Product Development and Manufacturing.
- Provide feasibility input on materials, finishes, flushness, gaps, angles, parting lines, sounds, all senses, etc.
- Digital evaluation and aesthetic analysis on 3D data to ensure target achievement at design stage. Perform VSA (Variation Simulation Analysis) on articulating components.
- Review and strive for zero visible parting lines.
- Establish tool draft guidelines to ensure texture integrity.
Education, Experience and Skills:
- BS in Engineering orBA in Industrial Design
- MS in Engineering or an MBA (preferred)
- 5+ years of people leader experience on a design or development team leading 5 or more associates.
- Combined 10+ years of experience in project management or program management
- Experience in the design, release, and validation of automotive, industrial products or consumer electronics.
- DFSS Black Belt and/or OpEx project leader experience preferred
- High level of problem-solving ability including independent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong personal drive/motivation and demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
- Must be proficient in DFM/DFA.
- Comfort with ambiguity.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.