At BrightDrop, we are reshaping e-commerce by developing smarter, greener, and more efficient ways to deliver goods and services to your door, while delivering a brighter future for the cities where we live. We are building an ecosystem of all-electric, zero-emissions delivery solutions – from electric vehicles, to ePallets and software that leverages real-time data to drive intelligent optimizations for e-commerce. To deliver on our mission we are growing fast and building a team, based in Palo Alto, with offices in Atlanta and Detroit, that is customer-focused, agile and passionate about innovating for a more sustainable future.
From engineering to product management and operations, BrightDrop is looking for people who can combine a passion for technology and sustainability with high doses of curiosity and rigorous thinking to deliver a better future.
Backed by General Motors, BrightDrop is striving to improve the communities where we live and deliver a better future for generations to come. We hope you’ll join us.
About the Team and Role
The Engineering Operations team is responsible for the alignment and execution of engineering programs, initiatives, and deliverables across our multiple teams, projects, and partners. This team will play a critical role in driving the engineering organization to achieve a high level of operational efficiency, agility, and adaptability.
As a Hardware Technical Project Manager, you will work closely with the hardware engineering team to expand our electronic pallet and embedded device portfolio by bringing design concepts from early prototypes to full-scale production units. You will drive daily planning, tracking, development and validation activities to meet the overall project objectives, including major functionality, quality, and on-time delivery. You will also work with our internal, cross-functional teams from product management, operations, procurement, and customer service in a fast-paced, business, technology, and operations environment.
- Lead the definition and communication of project scopes, technical objectives and feasibility assessments
- Develop, communicate and maintain detailed project plans based on resources, deliverables, dependencies and schedule targets
- Lead project recurring meetings with internal and external stakeholders to monitor and support ongoing progress
- Lead project kickoff and close-out meetings with stakeholders to ensure alignment at the start and end of a project
- Create and manage the statements of work and purchase requests for parts, tools, equipment and services from external suppliers
- Manage 3rd party suppliers and design and manufacturing partners to ensure deadlines are achieved and deliverables are provided in a consistent and timely manner
- Partner with procurement and manufacturing operations teams to coordinate external vendor and partner schedules, deliverables, and purchase order payments
- Drive multiple projects, in parallel, through on-time delivery with cross-functional team members
- Manage risks across your program to ensure the implementation plans meet project requirements
- Effectively and regularly communicate project progress against the project plan
- Identify areas where processes could be improved and simplified
- Communicate decisions and actions based on data-driven rationale in a timely manner
- 3 - 5 years of hardware project management development experience working within an engineering team
- Proficient in applying project management techniques for scoping, scheduling, budgeting, assessing quality and risks, and managing critical paths
- Experience presenting program status and risk mitigation plans to upper management
- Experience with the hardware engineering ECO and ECN change management process and managing engineering BOMs.
- Experience with projects involving rapid-prototyping design shops
- Experience with common industry PLM tools (e.g., SAP, Arena, Agile or equivalent)
- Well-organized and timely with respect to taking and posting meeting notes, assigning and driving action item closure, tracking and driving deliverables and risk mitigations
- Very good detail-oriented and analytical skills
- Track record of competency in resolving program conflicts, mitigating risks, and driving issues to resolution
- Able to confidently handle fast-paced environments
- Solid verbal, written, and presentation skills
- BS degree in Electrical, Computer or Systems Engineering, or equivalent degree or experience
- Experience with delivering products using Agile development methodologies is a plus
- Experience working with firmware-based projects is a plus
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.